Kogod School of Business

Info For

Our Approach to Learning


Military Applicants

Kogod's graduate programs provide strong opportunities for active duty and veteran members of the armed forces.

Applicants to American University's Kogod School of Business graduate programs who have served in any branch of the US military on active duty within the past three years will qualify for an application fee waiver.

To waive your application fee, contact kogodgrad@american.edu after you have submitted your application.

Applicants interested in learning more about our participation in the Yellow Ribbon program or for questions concerning using your VA Education benefits, please contact AU Veterans Services

Military Education Benefits FAQ

Does American University participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?
Where can I get information on military education benefits?

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers an overview of the available education and training benefits. You may compare VA education benefit programs and review current payment rates with the department’s GI Bill Comparison Tool.

For questions, contact an Education Specialist at the Department of Veterans Affairs Education Customer Service Office by calling 1-888-442-4551 during the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. CT.

How do I apply for military education benefits?

To apply, visit the U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs website and complete the Education Benefits form. If approved, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or award letter by standard mail. The VA typically takes between 6-8 weeks to process a request.

What should I do once I have received my COE?

Scan your COE and email to veterans@american.edu. Once admitted, you may contact AU’s Veteran Services Office and/or email veterans@american.edu for additional questions.

How often do I need to submit my COE and AU’s Request for Certification form?

The COE only needs to be submitted at the beginning of the degree program. However, AU’s Request for Certification must be submitted each time you register for classes. Once tuition and fees, term dates, and credit hours are verified, the VA will send you a letter reflecting your remaining months of eligibility and remaining funding left for the GI Bill year.

What is the Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and how much am I eligible to receive?

The Monthly Housing Allowance/Basic Allowance is processed for veterans and family members who are eligible for Post/9-11 Chapter 33 benefits and not currently on active duty or spouse of active duty. Students must be enrolled more than half-time to be eligible for the Housing Allowance. Students enrolled more than half-time but less than full-time will receive a prorated housing allowance. Housing allowance rates are calculated as the equivalent of Paygrade E-5 with dependents and are based on where you are attending classes either onsite or online. Learn more about tuition rates and payment.

Am I eligible for money to help pay for books and supplies?

Students who are eligible for Post-9/11 Chapter 33 benefits may be eligible for a yearly books and supplies stipend of up to, but not to exceed, $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment.

Request Information